I’m doing something a little different than what I did on the RV-7A with regards to the hinge pin covers. On the last plane I cut a full circle out, half on the top cowl and half on the top cowl. This time I’m only doing one half, the top cowl. Here you can see I started cutting the left and right sides of the top cowl.
Previously I had laid up 4-5 layers of glass onto the cowl halves to get the contour of the cowls. Here I’ve trimmed both the hole and cover to make a snug fit on both sides.
I put the cowl halves back together and covered the inside of the top cowl with clear packing tape the joined the two halves and bonded a backer onto the lower cowl. I will cut some of this away so I can reach the hinge pin and the cover will be connected to this backer with a single screw and nutplate.